diet whilst Jim has been away but it is tough when there is no-one to guilt you into staying healthy. I have no will power. It's official. I crave sweet things and my advent calendar chocolate is not getting me through these cravings.
When we first started the eating plan I popped to see the friend who put us onto it and she was eating coconut macaroons. I wasn't allowed them at that stage (we were in our 2 weeks of cutting out EVERYTHING) but as soon as I started craving snacks remembered she was eating them and went about adapting some recipes. So here are my pretty much healthy (even paleo if you leave out the chocolate) coconut macaroons. I've made a batch up for Jims return from India this week and I'm hoping he likes them, although I know his complaint will be that they don't contain cherries!
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup (instead of sugar or honey as we're not eating either)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate to cover - I used about 50grams of chocolate we had left in the cupboard to add something a bit extra for the guys at work who aren't on this plan but if you are really dieting they taste great without the chocolate too.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites and the agave syrup until they are quite frothy.
- Quickly add in the vanilla, don't mix too much.
- Stir in the coconut and mix with a spoon until it's all coated.
- Place mound shaped spoons of the mixture on to the baking sheet. They don't spread so you can place them quite close together. I used my tablespoon measurement to get the little domes although they were a little hard to get out sometimes, but you could just roll them into balls with your hand I guess.
- Bake for about 15 until they are starting to go golden.
- Once cooked, put the baking sheet on a cake rack and allow to cool slightly.
- If you are covering them in chocolate, whilst the macaroons are baking, melt the chocolate. We don't have a microwave so I bain marie it, but if you are using a microwave, make sure you don't burn the chocolate.
- When the chocolate is melted, using a fork, drizzle chocolate over the coconut macaroons and leave until set.
- Try not to eat 5 in one go as that probably isn't diet friendly!